Saturday, July 31, 2010

Challenges in Music Education Today - Class Discussion

July 26, 2010
Seminar in Music Education - Dr. Kaiser
Discussion and Brainstorming

"What are the greatest challenges in music education today?"
  • Music as aesthetic expression vs. utility
  • Advocacy (who decides?)
  • Budget
  • Focus (distracted time)
  • Relevance, standards and goals
  • Meaningfulness/Connections/Transfer(Behaviorists)
  • Future: leadership and visioning
  • Incorporating technology: flexibility and adaptability
  • Accountability (testing)
  • Demographics and diversity
  • Defining and identifying music as an art form
  • Professional cooperation for Advocacy

1 comment:

Ellie said...

I'm not a member of Dr. Kaiser's class (Hi, Dr. Kaiser!), but this post got me thinking (as I'm preparing to teach a Choral Methods course this fall)....

As a profession, I think that we are still struggling with getting beyond the concert-preparation (basically like test-prep, in some ways, if not done well) and holding ourselves accountable for using the Standards as our guide.

I also have observed that there are still a number of us who don't engage in much professional development, though I think this is gradually getting better. (This is just from observation in the area where I live.)

My personal challenges include:

- helping students become 21st century thinkers and keeping up with all of the new possibilities (podcasting! being skype-pals with a choir across the world! class blogs!) but not being distracted from the main purpose of music education.

- Relevance/Advocacy, which seem to go hand-in-hand at the moment.

- Demonstrating to other educators that I am as invested in children's thinking skills as teachers of other disciplines.

And just the nitty-gritty:

- Coming into a choral program where concerts were held every 9 weeks instead of once a semester (though I believe I have convinced my principal that the latter is best for the kids).